Thursday, April 12, 2007

Taking Time to Think

How often do we take time to think? How often do we get away from the Rat Race and deal with the important issues rather than the urgent ones? How do we as CEO’s sit down and consider the critical issues in our marriage, family, business, spiritual life, and future? For me this is a continual struggle. I am an action person and am far more of a “doer” than a thinker. Also, I am a workaholic, so I constantly have to build rest and time to get alone into my schedule. Many of you as business leaders share this struggle with me. I have done some things well. A daily time in God’s Word is a habit for me and I really enjoy just walking and praying. I also love to exercise and pray for others. I have tried to regularly be in a small group of my peers. This is a great time to get away from the business and deal with key issues with other wise counselors. I also love to read and do a lot of that while traveling. However, in the last year I have missed concentrated times of study.

Over the last five or six years, my wife and I would plan an extended weekend at the lake for study and writing about every six weeks. Last year due to a heavy U.S. travel schedule and several overseas trips, I did not get in all of these special times. This year I decided to remedy that. So I have put in the “big rocks” first into my schedule jar before the “pebbles and sand” of urgent issues fill up the space. I decided to spend every Wednesday that I am in town at home in study, prayer, and writing. This special time for wisdom and thinking is already on my schedule for the entire year. It will be a battle to stay with it, but I know how important it is to me. The result will be that I will be more able to keep my focus and my priorities in a world that continues to move far too quickly.

The bible tells us that God is the source of all wisdom. James 1:5 (Message) says, “If you don’t know what you’re doing, pray to the Father. He loves to help. You’ll get His help, and won’t be condescended to when you ask for it. Ask boldly, believingly, without a second thought.” God will give us the answers if we take time to be with Him and seek Him. Throughout the book of Proverbs we are challenged to seek this wisdom. Proverbs 3:13 (M) says, “You’re blessed when you meet Lady Wisdom, when you make friends with Madame Insight. She’s worth far more than money in the bank; her friendship is better than a big salary. Her value exceeds all the trappings of wealth, nothing you could wish for holds a candle to her.” Because I am taking this time several times a month, this means that I can write articles like this even though I am involved in several businesses. By doing the important things at certain times, I do not allow my life simply to be controlled by the urgent.

I was talking to another CEO this week. He asked how I still was able to have balance in my life even though I traveled a lot. I told him that early in each year I set aside times of a full week and several weekends alone with my wife. I set a week to be with our children and grandchildren in Colorado and several special weekends at the lake. We set times to be with other couples for special times together. We have an empty nesters weekend each summer, and this year we will celebrate our 40th anniversary with six other couples at a nice resort. By having these important times already set in my schedule, then it allows me to travel and work hard while maintaining my priorities. Although I love my work and could work many hours, I have a set time that I go home when I am in town. This gives my wife great security.

So, I am guarding my calendar so that I can do the important things that are a high priority to me. Why not begin now to put the big rocks into your schedule jar for the next six to twelve months? Then, you will have time with your family, your leadership team, and time to gain wisdom from the Father. It will be the best thing that you can do for your health, your marriage, and your business.

This article provided by ChristianBusinessDaily.com -- The Online Network for Christians in Business. Your source for news, articles, and commentary from a biblical perspective.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Kent_Humphreys

No comments: